The Battling Buzzards LHG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 events...

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2009 events... Empty 2009 events...

Post by darrenbond Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:17 am

Hi guys,
Hope your all keeping well, have been thinking that we should try and figure out a plan about what events we can try and do as a group this year. I am really keen on getting something moving forward. Just need to sort out who is around when and where etc. I know money is tight, and outside life is number one at mo. But would be nice to make 2009 the year that we " Attack" the reenactment world and show them what the mighty 517th all about.

I guess the first thing to sort out is a event to go to? Would a small event be ideal first, chance to meet up shoot the shit, come up with ideas etc or should we go all out and try and work on a plan to try and do a big event? If we do that then need to come up with a display.

In regards to a display i think like has been mentioned before, a Bulge or maybe even a Martine Alps could be done with ease. With a very possable option of doing a Dragoon display.

I will try and post some links and or a list of small events which could be an option for us to do, from that we can each give it a yes or no if we like the sound of it, and if we can make it. and even if we cant make a weekend it could be good to get into some kit and do a one day thing. least with doing that we then get the ball rolling, sort some ideas out, make a appearance to other renenactors.. and have a beer.

Put your thoughts and ideas forward, so fingers crossed we can sort something

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

2009 events... Empty Re: 2009 events...

Post by samharris45 Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:55 am

Hi Darren
Nice to see your working towards event ideas. I like your commitment mate.
I think personally as we are a new group and we do have limited members that we should look more into a display at a larger event rather than turning up to a smaller one. My reasons for thinking this are
-Small events tend to be s&%t and have limited space to display
-We want to impress with this new impression so to get more noticed by others we would be better off displaying at a larger event. If we turned up and where noticed at more low key events the effect of this brand new impression I feel would be dulled down.
We have loads of time tom plan a display. Even if it turns out to be a HQ display or a MG pit, it’s how you look that matters. We have enough kit now to do a basic display but s we all know a great display can be ruined by orange webbing, clean faces boot’s and uniforms. As has been mentioned before if we were doing a combat fox hole display we should have empty K-rat boxes and D-Rat bars. Empty cartridge cases etc etc. We should aim to look knackered and dirty.
What do others think?

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 am

Further to your post regarding events this year for the battling buzzards I have been thinking of what good events are out there and suddenly thought well what about attending the Glen Miller Festival?

Ok we know the organisers can be a little annoying but it’s really quite a good event. Not huge in the terms of re-enacting but you can dig in and as most will know there’s a good wooded area to display in. At night there is a good dance that we can attend as a group in our 517th Class A’s. I have always enjoyed this event every time I have gone as generally it’s quiet a easy going event. It’s also a three day event so we will have plenty of time to discuss ideas etc and get some pics. If we decide that three days is to long we can still go down for two?

So What do you guys think?

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 pm

i totally agree about small events being a bit crap, with limited space.. the only reason i mentioned that was so it could give us some more options with dates, because most of us do things with other group.. the large events have take up are calender already.

I am really keen on getting noticed, the Glen Miller event would be a very good option, like sam said the use of the woods, and the evening dance, good chance to shoot the shit with the other re- enactor and try them what we are about.

Like Sam has mentioned, and others before.. We need stuff to go on display, without trying people how to spend there money, specially in these times. I just myself got a job after losing my one.. but how would people feel about having say two ammo cans each, maybe a .30 cal belt. set of K ration Boxs. If we do CP/ HQ display to get some bit for that. Does any one have a camo net? things we can have lieing around... jerry cans, wooden ration boxs, ammos boxs, maps.. i am in the market for a radio so that could be used.

what do reckon?

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:17 am

darrenbond wrote:i totally agree about small events being a bit crap, with limited space.. the only reason i mentioned that was so it could give us some more options with dates, because most of us do things with other group.. the large events have take up are calender already.

I am really keen on getting noticed, the Glen Miller event would be a very good option, like sam said the use of the woods, and the evening dance, good chance to shoot the shit with the other re- enactor and try them what we are about.

Like Sam has mentioned, and others before.. We need stuff to go on display, without trying people how to spend there money, specially in these times. I just myself got a job after losing my one.. but how would people feel about having say two ammo cans each, maybe a .30 cal belt. set of K ration Boxs. If we do CP/ HQ display to get some bit for that. Does any one have a camo net? things we can have lieing around... jerry cans, wooden ration boxs, ammos boxs, maps.. i am in the market for a radio so that could be used.

what do reckon?

Darren

Hi mate glad you agree. So do others fancy Glen Miller?

Darren I have access to a radio and x2 Brit Army WWII Cam nets so that would help with a display idea

For a .30cal I have one, plus 3 tins and x2 belts and around 100 empty cartridge cases, so there isn’t allot more needed for that really.

I also have 1 K-Rat Crate (I can get one more) and some K-Rat boxes.

If we did Glen Miller then it’s obviously going to be wooded so Bez is there a scenario you can fit us into?

just out of interest does anyone own any of the U.S. Army Field Telephones?
Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:17 pm

do you mean the leather cased telephone?....
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi Sam,

I don't have a problem doing it, but before making any further plans i think it would be worth contacting the organisers. Reason i say that is because since the new owners took over they have pretty much completely elliminated the WWII reenacting side of things and it is now almost predominantly music based. The reenactor side of things used to be organized by Lee, but since he and most other groups were kicked out of (or asked nicely to leave) Twinwoods there has been very little other than swing weekends held there, and the new owners are apparently very ignorant to History, and the Airfields history, and allow for the bands to play simply because they have the facilities to do so and know they can make pennies from it. On the other hand the reenactors require insurance, and that means money, and im afraid the new owners simply pocket any profit made by the Airfield.

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:14 am

darrenbond wrote:do you mean the leather cased telephone?....

Yer I mean that.

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:16 am

Cpl Bez wrote:Hi Sam,

I don't have a problem doing it, but before making any further plans i think it would be worth contacting the organisers. Reason i say that is because since the new owners took over they have pretty much completely elliminated the WWII reenacting side of things and it is now almost predominantly music based. The reenactor side of things used to be organized by Lee, but since he and most other groups were kicked out of (or asked nicely to leave) Twinwoods there has been very little other than swing weekends held there, and the new owners are apparently very ignorant to History, and the Airfields history, and allow for the bands to play simply because they have the facilities to do so and know they can make pennies from it. On the other hand the reenactors require insurance, and that means money, and im afraid the new owners simply pocket any profit made by the Airfield.

Regards, Bez

Hello my mate thanks for the reply.

Yer I apreciate what you are saying, but if we are going to events then the insurance bridge is going to have to be crossed at some point. Have you got any ideas regarding this?

I know that the re-enacting side of things was at best alright when I was there with Lee. I hadn't realsied that things have gone worse. Have the Rangers left there as well then?

Do you have any contact deatils for Twinwoods then?

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 pm

there is a leather cased phone on ebay i am hoping to get.. fingers crossed.
i have been on thw twinwood website, there is contact details on there.. but looked on the events page about the glen miller day and there is no mention about reeanctors, or displays. and the pictures from last year didnt have any reenactment ones included, not sure what that is to go on but contacting them would give us a yes or no answer.

if Glenn miller isnt a option does any one have any oher ideas?

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 am

Yeah thats what i saw Darren, a bit dissapointing really because they were good events at a good location.

Putting aside group insurance the owners of Twinwoods would have to have their own insurance too and probably have to pay a license to run an event that a large amount of public go to, and the new owners just don't want to pay this.

In regards to our insurance, when we're ready to do and event and are confident we're at that right stage we may become a part of AFRA, which unlike most insurance groups insures the individuals and not the group, although they do insure groups if thats what we want.

Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:55 pm

would it be worth contacting them any how, or should we give it a miss and find another one to do? if so any ideas. i have been keeping my eyes out for events, looking on other groups websites etc but i cant find anything worth mentioning really. ill be keeping my eyes out and list as and when i find something i think we can do.

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:41 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering are people planning to go to both the war and peace show and Military Odyssey with other groups? find a events daily through the Milweb, link below.. list a number of events. First one in wales i dint know how people felt about Multi-Period event? it is a new ish event, but looks ok.. i have been to the place before for a festival. loads of space etc.

Have a look on the site below and you will find the links to the event list, with all the web sites on there

http://www.milweb.net/events.php?etype=reenactor

see what you think

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Darren,

both of those shows are unfortunately out of the question. People are active with other groups at both and therefore we'd be reduced in numbers, and since we dont have that many to start with....

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:48 am

yeah i understand, was there any other event on that list on the link that you thought could be a option regards to numbers and dates?

talking abouting numbers does any one have any thoughts to how we can get more guys interseted in the group? Thinking once we get some group pictures taken we post them on the ww2 forum, maybe that would bang up some people. I guess the other way is just showing are faces out and about.

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 am

darrenbond wrote:yeah i understand, was there any other event on that list on the link that you thought could be a option regards to numbers and dates?

talking abouting numbers does any one have any thoughts to how we can get more guys interseted in the group? Thinking once we get some group pictures taken we post them on the ww2 forum, maybe that would bang up some people. I guess the other way is just showing are faces out and about.

Darren

I think that's the problme new groups have. Once your out there and they see you are good and 'differant' you gat allot more interest. I think untill that point we are going to be as we are now!

As it's looking less and less likely that we will be able to nail anything this year shall we look for next? I think as we will have soooooooooo much notice that we can all commit to at least one event.

I'm thinking Victory?

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah i agree with that Sam, and because we are differant i think we will get interset from like minded people who want to do something a new.

If we are looking forward to next year calender i think as a group we should try and do 3 events if possable, Victory is a good one.. maybe as well as one of the big Kent events and something else??? How do people feel about that? least on that time scale we can all get 42s sprayed and hopefully those grisward bags sorted maybe.

Do we have any other options for this year, maybe a photo shoot, or just a group piss up some where?

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 am

darrenbond wrote:Yeah i agree with that Sam, and because we are differant i think we will get interset from like minded people who want to do something a new.

If we are looking forward to next year calender i think as a group we should try and do 3 events if possable, Victory is a good one.. maybe as well as one of the big Kent events and something else??? How do people feel about that? least on that time scale we can all get 42s sprayed and hopefully those grisward bags sorted maybe.

Do we have any other options for this year, maybe a photo shoot, or just a group piss up some where?

Darren

I'm sure a photo shoot / piss up can be arranged! Detlings a good event but we can't dig in so a pre-drop display may be a good idea if we decide to do this?

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:06 pm

yeah that would be cool, a pre Dragoon airfield display.. packing drop containers etc. Been thinking it would be great if we can do a over seas trip, maybe Belgium? see the sites, dont know if that would be best for next year or try and arrange it for this year? What do you guy think?

Not sure if all of you know but in Aug there is a trip to the south of france happing, i know that the FAAA and the 82nd LHA are hoping to do it, I am hoping to go, thinking it would be for around 4 days, flying over, taking part in a 2 day march in and around the area of le Muy. See the area meet some 517th vets etc etc. Sounds wicked to me, i know it just a couple od months after Normandy, nut would be well worth it if any one is game?

If not i think it should be something looking into for next year.

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 am

Hi mate. For me it's to soon after Normandy. Prehaps next year I would be keen to go.

Anyone know any good events then that we could attend? Would be good to decide ASAP so we can keep ourselves free for the weekend. With doing events next year be it in the U.K. or France/Belgium etc we have plenty of time to organise and source kit.

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:00 pm

when you say " good events that we could attend" do you mean for this year Sam or next?
any one going to Malvern this weekend?

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:46 am

I mean for next year as this year seems to much to do!

It would be good to have soem contribution from others as well towards events as this forum has gone a litte stale again!

I'm not at Malvern mate, was going to but got ameal with the Mrs now! I know where id rather be..........

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 am

Ahh yeah sorry,

I think the Victory Show should be on the cards, and one of the big Kent show.
I agree with that Sam.. would be good to get some more input on here, need others to say which events they would like to do etc.
Not going to the fair now, have to save the penny for the rent... bad times

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:39 pm

heya guys,

Just visited the Twinwood website, and think it has been up dated as now it states living history displays etc at this years show... Would we still be interseted? if so ill be happy to email them.
It is over the weekend of the 29th of Aug.

Darren
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 am

darrenbond wrote:heya guys,

Just visited the Twinwood website, and think it has been up dated as now it states living history displays etc at this years show... Would we still be interseted? if so ill be happy to email them.
It is over the weekend of the 29th of Aug.

Darren

I'm interested. Email them and see what they have to say. Don't commit to anything but if only we find out the basics it would be good to know.

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next