The Battling Buzzards LHG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome All.

5 posters

Go down

Welcome All. Empty Welcome All.

Post by Cpl Bez Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:44 am

Hi All,

Just a quick post to say welcome all to this new group.

It was formed by Me and Jon pretty much due to the fact that we're not only sick and tired of doing displays that have been done a million times, but to do a unit that deserves recognition just as much as any other.

The combat record for the 517th speaks for itself, to this day it's fitness records have not been beaten by any other US Unit, it performed with distinction in Combat getting itself a well deserved reputation as the toughest of all US Airborne outfits.

The Battling Buzzards are the first and will be the foremost grouping using one of the Independent US Airborne units as it's base impression. Kit standards will be high, and will be strict. We have the potential to make this group one of the best in the UK by doing it RIGHT! But we also have the potential to nosedive in none existence if corners are cut, and take it from me, that WILL NOT happen.

Research is key, buy the books, read them, study them. Members will not only be expected to know the Uniforms and Equipment, but also to know the unit History, where it fought, where it trained, where they rested etc.

The group will also not be limited to 517th. The kit will allow us to do impressions based around the 509th PIB, and the 551st PIB. We will also represent, on odd occasions, the 82nd Airborne in the Medditeranean theater (Sicily and Italy) as this is very rarely, if ever, done in the UK. At NO point (Unless specifically asked/invited to do so) will this group represent any Airborne unit as part of the Normandy invasion.

Operations Dragoon is indeed the period that, due to the uniqueness of kit, stands out the most, but the group will represent the 517th through all Theaters, this includes Italy, Southern France, Eastern France, and Belgium (Battle of the Bulge, Hurtgen Forest). Let's all stick together, no politics, no arguements, to make this group become one of the best, and to stand out as a group that does not want to follow a trend. The men of the 517th deserved to have their names out there, and that's what we're doing this for, so lets do it for them.

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Welcome All. Empty Re: Welcome All.

Post by Shorty Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 am

Ok so it's been a year and not much has happened, work, life and no doubt a load of things have gotten in the way. I'm equally guilty, with work ruling my life for the next (hopefully) 20 weeks.

But I genuinely feel that as a group of mates we can get something sorted here, and as Bez said in his above post, lets stick together. The men of the 517th did and I can't think of a better example to follow.

I love the idea of portraying these guys and getting a small but dedicated group together and I'm sure everyone else on here feels that way aswell.

Even if we don't have a display ready for the start of the season, there's no reason I can see of for us not to have something ready for the mid point of 2009, portraying the unit in the bulge.
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

https://battlingbuzzards.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 am

Cheers for that Jon, and cheers for bringing the forum back from the dead and sending the Email out.

First of all, its good to be posting on here again, its been a while, and it feels good to know the wheels on the 517th group are rolling again.

In the past, the group has in part voted to do a Southern France impression, and although highly desirable it is unrealistic for the time being simply because of the kit involved. However, following their rest at Soissons prior to being committed to the Battle Of The Bulge the 517th received a re-issue of uniforms, predominantly M43's. But, as many know, the 517th weren't much for following rules and wore what suited them really. But a "Bulge" impression is probably what we would be better off doing as a beginning impression. Don't be mistaken, it may not be the Champagne Campaign of southern France, but what the 517th achieved in the Bulge stands proud amongst the likes of the 101st Airborne and their Defence of Bastogne, yet often goes unwritten in the History books.

Although in the past we had decided to base our impression around D.Company, 2nd Battalion, i'd like to put forward the idea that for Bugle impressions we represent A.Company, 1st Battalion. My reasoning for this was that the 2nd Battalion remained in reserve for the most part until Early-Jan 45 before the Offensive operations to regain lost ground, whereas the 1st and 3rd were committed to the re-capture of certain locations often in efforts to rescue other US units who had found themselves in a rather sticky situation.

The 1st Battalion were the first to do some shooting, having been asked by General Rose (Commanding the US 3rd Armored Division) to hit the Woods between Soy and Hotton to clear them of Germans and relieve the pressure on the all important town of Hotton which was dangerously close to falling to the Enemy. It was a tough fight, but the actions of the 1st Battalion won them a Presidential unit citation as well as the 517ths first and only Medal Of Honor of the war (Pfc Melvin Biddle, B.Company). They were also called in to save the asses of a regiment from the fresh 75th ID who were stuggling at the high ground at Roumieres to the South of Soy. Boyle again leading his men into battle not to set up defences or operate souly in a offensive roll, but to help out other units.

This is, i think, what a first display would be good based around, but i'd like to hear other opinions, to bring them forward.

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am

As most of you know I second Bez's logic there.

A Bulge impression/senario would for the time being be the easiest pull off. And as Bez has stated the actions of this small, largely independant unit can stand proudly next to the units in both the 82nd and 101st.

My concern would be getting a good base impression right. not in terms of kit etc, got no worries there, but purely getting something that looks realistic. No point having 10 fox holes with 5 guys to sit in them, we will need to thin long and hard about what we can do and the best way to do it so other groups out there who will be looking to pick faults can't!

The idea of having a 60 mm mortar have gone south due to the cost, but we still have a .30cal and plenty of other items that we can build upon so all is not lost!

So, ideas on a used fiver to the usual address for display ideas.....
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:43 am

Well the .30 cal idea wouldn't be a bad one. Providing we got loads of empty .30 ammo and ammo tins it would look good.

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 am

Funny you mention that mate, Bez and I have just been talking about .30 cal tins and ammo.

I'll be doing my upmost to buy what I can at Stoneleigh, and don't think it's unreasonable to ask everyone who goes to buy at least one tin each, obviously depending upon cost!
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:48 am

Well I have 2 and also x2 white ammo belts. I also have around 100 empty .30 rounds that I have kept from battles this year.

I think the thing most done wrong with .30 cal displays is not having enough empty rounds.

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by pip Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Evening fella's.

Sorry its taken me so long to get onto here. Will try and catch up!

Pip
pip
pip

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenbond Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:55 am

heya guys, i have a couple of tins at home to add.. going to need a lot of brass.. if we have like even 4 empty cans thats got to look like we have 1000 cases around the gun.. which could prehaps be an issuse. shorty do you have access to any brass from the range??
darrenbond
darrenbond

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:47 am

I know what you mean! Tins arn't as much a problem as brass is!

It has to be .30 caliber. Anything else and they don't look the same!

Well if anyone has any emptys or gets any make sure you keep them.

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 am

I'd have about 30 if i had a Blank Firer to circulate them through. Next battle that takes place i think we need to start pocketing the brass. Pain in the ass i know, but good place to get it from.

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:06 am

Cpl Bez wrote:I'd have about 30 if i had a Blank Firer to circulate them through. Next battle that takes place i think we need to start pocketing the brass. Pain in the ass i know, but good place to get it from.

Regards, Bez

yep that's my plan!

Bez why don't you get a hammer and nail out and use a clamp!

I'm sure that would be safe lol!

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:12 am

ok i'll do it Very Happy

Seriously Sam don't suggest stuff like that to me i have absolutely no degree of self preservation and probably would blow my own face off and have a good laugh about it. Very Happy Laughing bounce

Does anyone know how safe/unsafe it is to try and losen the crimped end and pour out the cordite?

Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Not a good idea mate, best off having fun with them putting them through a weapon first.
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum