The Battling Buzzards LHG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Normandy, August 2008

4 posters

Go down

Normandy, August 2008 Empty Normandy, August 2008

Post by Shorty Sun May 18, 2008 9:14 am

Right guys, Bez and I are putting together a trip to Normandy in mid August.

It'll be 2 days travelling and three days in Normandy itself, so 5 days in all. We are looking to leave on a Thursday so we can enjoy Friday Saturday and Sunday there and get back late on the Monday.

There will be 5 places in my car, so with Bez and I that leaves 3 places left up for grabs. If I could take more I would but short of someone going in the boot it'd be tricky!

We are looking at camping this time, so no posh Chateau this time guys Laughing The camp site is at Sainte Marie Du Mont. Approx cost at the moment will be £10 for the camping which will include the pitch/car park space and showers (and that £10 is for the 3 days NOT per night!!!) The Chunnel costs split 5 ways will probably be no more than £20-£25 each. Petrol for the trip will be split 5 ways each time so everyone pays their equal share. There will be lots of driving so this way is the best way to play it.

So for a rough total minus food/drink/spending money you looking at £55-£60!!! By keeping cost down it gives everyone more money to spend at Deadman's corner/Static Line Wink

The rough plan at the moment is to leave early on the Thursday, arrive in France an lay a wreath at La Paradis:http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Regiments/RoyalNorfolkMassacreWordlWar2.html

then we'll continue to Normandy and stop at Pegasus Bridge and have a good look round and visit the museum and have a beer at the Cafe Gondree! Then we'll make our way to Sainte Marie Du Mont and probably chill out at a bar for the rest of the evening.

The following three days will focus on the 101st in normandy as Bez has found some amazing places to visit, which I'll let him tell you about, but you won't be dissapointed!!!!

Finalised dates will appear on here this week so the time off work can be booked etc.

So who wants to go then??? Very Happy
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

https://battlingbuzzards.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Normandy, August 2008 Empty Re: Normandy, August 2008

Post by pip Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 am

As long as its not the 23rd, 24th, 25th, I'd be well up for that Very Happy

Count me in Razz , never actually stopped in Normandy so would be A-mazing! Embarassed

pip
pip
pip

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Sun May 18, 2008 10:25 am

Those who won't in May last year will tell you there is a lot to see, but this trip will focus on the 101st Airborne Division. Special attention will be paid to Carentan and also there will be a few particularly special locations that very few people know about and will amaze you. I won't give too much away but it will be amazing.

Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 am

How does the 14th through to the 18th sound?

Bez, is the camp site avalible for us over those dates?

And any more takers? That's three of us, so two places left.

Bez if you can give us a final price for the Chunnel, when we know who is going, if you could book it then everyone will need to foward you a cheque for the amount they owe.
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Mon May 19, 2008 2:49 am

Just had a quick look at Chunnel prices, leaving before 08:00 on the 14th and traveling back at 20:00 on the 18th and were looking at £136 return.

So split 5 ways = £27.20
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm

God it's tempting but I just can't afford it! I think I'm gonna wait to next year and go on the 65th anniversary.

Bez on the subject of Normandy, are you still planing the tripback to the place we stopped in last year?

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Not anymore mate, not since what happened with AIM. The place is still booked under AIM's name so you might want to ask Paul if he plans to make anything of that but if not let me know so i can cancel the reservation. Likewise if he does i'll send you the contact details of the place. As nice and as cheap as it was, it's a little out of the way if taking Military vehicles.

bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Mon May 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Shame you can't make it Sam, would have been great to have you along mate. Crying or Very sad
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 am

Right all those going, the Euro Tunnel is booked.

Cost per person at present is £42.33 (total cost £127)

I'll pm you guys my address, if you could get a cheque off to me as soon as that would be great.

Jon
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Sun May 25, 2008 6:43 am

No more takers on the trip? Sure you're not interested Darren?

Here's a list of the places we will visit:

All three Drop Zones of the 101st We'll visit what remains of these and what is to be seen.
Easy's route into Carentan We'll see the exact route and exit lanes that Easy Company took into Carentan.
Carentan Countless areas of interest in Carentan.
Gillis' Corner located near Angoville Au Plain, we'll see the spot where Sgt Leo Gillis single Handedly took out an MG nest responsible for the death of three of his best friends.
Location of Wolverton's death We'll see what remains of the Apple orchard where 3rd Battalion, 506th CO Lt.Col Robert Wolverton was killed hanging from his parachute in a tree.
Hells corner This is where two members of the 506th set up an MG and fired at 500 Germans retreating from Sainte Marie Du Mont. There's more to this story!
The Holdy Battery Not only will we see where the Holdy Battery was located, but also the location of a VERY famous photo.
La Mesieres Otherwise known simply as the XYZ Complex, we all know what happened here.
The Saint Come Du Mont Power outlet This is the power outlet destroyed by Joe Beyrle on D-Day, we will also see the German Aid Station he was taken to with other prisoners of the 101st, and the church he landed on.
Brecourt Manor Know what happened here!
The Bloody Gulch Know what happened here too!
Chateau Bel Enault Where the 501st Regimental HQ stick was dropped, the field in front of the building being where Reg.Co Jumpy Johnson landed. We'll also follow as best as possible the route Jumpy and his men took to reach La Barquette, we'll then look at the lock itself.
Sainte Germain De Varreville Church The Field to the rear of this church is where the 502nd PIR Pathfinders landed, and being only around half a mile from their DZ set up their Eureka Beacons. They also hid their equipment and their wounded in the back of the Church before heading off to the Sainte Martin battery, they later returned to retrieve their wounded and equipment.
Heisville See here Taylors Divisional HQ, the 101st Glider LZ, the spot where Div XO Don Pratt was killed when his Glider crashed, and the 101st Divisional Aid Station at La Combrieres.
The Sainte Martin Gun Battery An objective of the 502nd, it was destroyed by a flight of B-26 Mauraders 4 days before D-Day, no fighting took place here. The batterys operators met their maker at La Mesieres.
Beuzeville Au Plain See here the spot where Lt.Meehans C-47 went in on D-Day. Also about half a click South-east is the T-junction where Easy ambushed those Germans (featured in BoB).
Ravenoville Obviously where the brilliant Marmion Farm is located. Some good photo ops here. We'll also visit the church where E.Co men routed out a German sniper, and also another location in the village for a "Then and now" Opportunity.
The Ingouf Farm Where Cole won his Medal of Honor with his famed Bayonet charge. We'll walk the route his men took.
The Cabbage Patch Where the 502nd faced bitter hand to hand fighting, from hedgerow to hedgerow on the outskirts of Carentan.
The Carentan Boat Basin Where G/327th and A/401st fought down the forrested river banks before being stopped by MG fire and forced to dig into their positions. Could be the potential for some finds here boys!
The Bridges at Brevands These were captured by 3/506th, but a lack of a working radio resulted in them being destroyed by a flight of P-51's.
The Carentan Causeway Otherwise known as Purple Heart Lane, the 502nd lead the way for the 101st down this road, with bitter fighting for each of it's 4 river Bridges.
Angoville Au Plain See here the all to sobering Church with the blood stained benches. We'll also see the farm where Col Robert Sink commanding the 506th set up his 2nd HQ. You'll also see the doorway where that famous photo of him was taken.

There will also be a little more, with the addition of the usual places like Sainte Mere Eglise and La Fiere.

Hope this sounds good to all!

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by samharris45 Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am

Cpl Bez wrote:Not anymore mate, not since what happened with AIM. The place is still booked under AIM's name so you might want to ask Paul if he plans to make anything of that but if not let me know so i can cancel the reservation. Likewise if he does i'll send you the contact details of the place. As nice and as cheap as it was, it's a little out of the way if taking Military vehicles.

bez

Bez I will ask Paul and get back to you mate.

I think to be honest we will take you up on it as you said it was a fab place!

Sam

samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 am

Plenty of time mate, don't forget it was booked for 2009, not this year.

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty Fri May 30, 2008 10:49 am

Bez, I looked at hiring a metal detector but at £70 a go I think thats a bit much. Maybe we can actually buy one for less? Only needs to be good enough to give a signal somethings there doesn't need to be all singing and dancing.

Also were you planning on taking Deacts with us? As I haven't mentioned it to Customs or the Chunnel people.
Shorty
Shorty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pip Sat May 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Fantastic to hear all going so well.

Fantastic to read the list of places Bez, cheers for typing that up mate, can't wait!

Total f**kwit question from me (but thats normal lol), taking kit? Or simply modern civilian stuff, maybe with the odd jacket?
Embarassed . Had assumed the latter, but thought otherwise once you mentioned deacts etc Jon?
Pip
pip
pip

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi Pip,

I had planned on taking full combat gear as per 101st in Normandy, and Shorty i had planned on taking over my M1.

Phil, you do 508th from time to time right? So you should be ok for 101st Normandy gear?

Regards, Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by pip Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:28 am

Hi Bez,

aha cool, gottcha.

Atm I'm in two frames of mind as always slightly self-conscious about wearing uniforms abroad so to speak (at certain times/places etc). That probably makes no sense but its a personal thing really. Nothing about other people doing it, just me. Would it be possible for me to stay in civi's and wield the camera? haha

But I'll try and bend my train of thought on it lol.

I'll probably come back and edit my reply, so it actually makes sense at some point Embarassed

Phil
pip
pip

Back to top Go down

Post by Cpl Bez Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 am

Nah that's absolutely fine Phil, and i totally understand and often have similar feelings myself. However, the wearing of kit will be casual and only serious when the opportunity for a good photo arises. You're more than welcome to wear whatever you like, as long as it's not your Birthday suit! Razz it''s just a trip, a small Holiday if you like so there's no pressue or anything like that, come dressed as a morris dancer if you like..........(but really, please don't)

Bez
Cpl Bez
Cpl Bez

Back to top Go down

Post by pip Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Cheers for the understanding Bez Smile

Ah shit, no morris dancing then? *Puts away his bells*
Hahaha.

All the best, and roll on August!

Pip
pip